Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Goals for Math Club Tutoring

The tutor sessions have gotten better since they started. The kids are being more attentive now but I would still like them to improve on paying attention. With the last competition success, there is a lot to be done!

Goals for myself as the tutor:
* learn to be patient: Being patient is hard especially when it is the end of Friday and everyone just wants to go home.
* Be productive and effective: I am only able to work with the kids for an hour but I want to be able to help them as much as possible. This must involve everyone's cooperation though.
* grow better as a tutor: This is a pretty broad goal. To break it down more here are some things I want to do:
-  be able to explain problems better so the kids are able to grasp the material and understand more easily
- get everyone involved. I'm trying to get everyone involved in trying to help solve problems to make sure everyone is on the same page.
- be able to give more one on one time. With so many kids in the session, finding time to help everyone with a one-on-one conference is harder than i thought.

These goals are not exactly easy to reach within a day. Over time, I believe I will be closer to achieving these goals once I try different strategies to see which works best in teaching a class like this.

Goals for the Math Club:

* Grasp the material better
*PAY MORE ATTENTION: this definitely is a big one. It is friday and I know everyone can't wait to get to the weekend. But hold on! If youre at the tutor session, then you need to listen up because you need help.
* Learn to work with each other
* be more experienced with math competition problems
* put in the effort to practice, practice, practice. It will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment