Sunday, June 19, 2011

My final project of the year -- Reflection! ♪♫

Hey everyone! Well I'm here to announce that I have done my piano tutoring session. This was a project I did on my own.

At first, I envisioned this project to give me the chance to help students improve on their piano. I saw it as a fun project because piano is my passion and I one day will want to teach piano lessons as well. I would work with the students on whatever they wanted or needed help on such as a piece or theory. They would come to my house where I would be able to teach them and have resources such as books if they needed to use them.
Looking back now, the piano session was a bit more complicated than I had thought in the first place. What was really hard was that a lot of things I had expected the students to know was not actually engraved in their minds. They were still struggling with the very very basics such as notes and note values. Instead of being able to look at the note and say its a C, they had to count lines and spaces to figure out what it was. (i don't blame the beginners though. they are still learning) It was also hard because of the different levels the students were at. I started asking them questions and testing them to see where they were at and I was shocked literally. Either their teacher didn't really give them a good foundation on the basics or they just weren't getting it.
Although I have completed this stretch of my project, it is not over yet. I will continue giving the kids lessons every other week to keep up with them and help strengthen their weaknesses. I feel that it will be a good opportunity to really get those basics nailed into their little brains. that will help a lot when their music gets more complicated and they advance.

As a leader, there are many areas where I need improvements on. I believe there is always room of course.  I think a major obstacle as a leader, especially in this project, is patience and flexibility.



 This is cute little Ryan. He is a beginner in piano.


 This is Dylan. He is trying to learn a new song called Vivace.

 This is Kyle. He still has to learn his note and rest values before trying to learn his new song -- the theme song of the Peanuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment